Dr Ng Kheng Hong
Senior Consultant Colorectal Surgeon
MBBS (Singapore), MMed (Surgery),
FRCS (Edinburgh), FAMS (General Surgery),
Dr Ng Kheng Hong is a Senior Consultant Colorectal & General
Surgeon with two decades of experience, in particular laparoscopic and
robotic-assisted surgery. He was the Director of Minimally Invasive Surgery at the
Department of Colorectal Surgery at SGH in 2009; and his devotion to his craft also
earned him the Long Service Award in 2010.
Dr Ng is most passionate about treating colorectal cancer in a way that maximises
patients’ wellbeing. Prevention is better than cure, so he also places great
emphasis on timely colonoscopies. Dr Ng is also skilled in various types of piles
(haemorrhoids) treatment, including conservative methods.
With his expertise in minimally invasive techniques, Dr Ng is able to deliver
outcomes that are more precise and less risky, with less scarring and less
discomfort. Dr Ng also finds it most meaningful to manage patients with colorectal
cancer and improve their quality of life.
Academic Qualifications & Awards
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (NUS) (Singapore, 1999)
- Master of Medicine in General Surgery (Singapore, 2003)
- MOH Health Manpower Development Plan (HMPD) Award – Advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery Training (2006)
- 10 Years Long Service Award, Singapore General Hospital (2010)
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh, UK, 2002)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh, UK, 2006)
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine (Surgery) (Singapore)
- Director and Senior Consultant Surgeon, KH Colorectal & Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Visiting Senior Consultant General Surgeon, KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital (since 2012)
- Chairman, Chapter of General Surgeon, College of Surgeons, Singapore
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore (since 2012)
- Chairman, Medical Advisory Board, Gleneagles Hospital Singapore (2016-2018)
- Chairman, Medical Quality Assurance, Gleneagles Hospital Singapore (2015-2016)
- Director of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Department of Colorectal Surgery, SGH (2009-2010)
- Consultant Surgeon, Department of Colorectal Surgery, Singapore General Hospital (2008-2010)
- Visiting Consultant, Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Centre Singapore (2008-2010)
- Honorary Surgeon Specialist, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Hong Kong (2007)
- Specialist Registrar, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, University of Birmingham, UK (2004)
Dr Ng has published over 30 scientific papers in peer-reviewed medical journals to date, with four of the more prominent papers being:
- British Journal of Surgery: 'Experience of 3711 Stapled Haemorrhoidectomy Operations'
- Annals of Surgery: 'Laparoscopic Resection for Rectal Cancers – Lessons Learnt from 579 Cases'
- World Journal of Surgical Oncology: 'Single Site Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy: An Oncological Feasible Option'
- Singapore Medical Journal: 'Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Rectal Dissection for Low Rectal Cancer – From Better Views to Better Outcome'